Members Login

info3

Welcome to Bembridge Angling Club forum. This forum has a strictly no adult content policy.

Below is a short list of abbreviations you may find on the forum.

LOL = Laugh out loud.

ROTFL = Rolling on the floor laughing.

BFN = Bye for now.

TBH = To be honest.

IMHO = In my humble opinion.

BWL = Bursting with laughter.

LMAO = Laughing my a*** off.

 

 

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Results of Antifoul Experiments Updated Jan 2012

Results of Antifoul Experiments Updated Jan 2012 8 years 8 months ago #1

Please see the end of this post for an update at Jan 2012
The following was posted at the beginning of 2011:-
As promised, here are my conclusions regarding experiments with antifoul over the last season 2010 to 2011:-At the end of the 2009 season, I had become very disappointed with the increasingly ineffective results obtained from the expensive International Hard Antifoul that I had been using for the previous 10 years. The protection provided did not seem in proportion to the significantly higher cost compared to far cheaper products that had provided similar or better results for other club members under similar conditions.
Being a fairly fast boat on a mud berth, I understood that a fully erodible antifoul would not last for a complete season.
I therefore decided to try out a suggestion to apply cheap hard antifoul followed by a single coat of an erodible one. A company called Teal & Mackrill were kind enough to assist me sourcing a suitable eroding product by way of their “Teamac D” which looks as if it has a high copper content. I first did my own physical compatibility check to ensure no adverse interaction between products then, during the January 2010 maintenance session, I duly applied two coats of cheap antifoul followed, a couple of weeks later, by one coat of Teamac D.
The thinking behind this is that most fouling seems to happen in the first 7 months of the year so if the eroding antifoul gets worn away after only half a season, it will take with it most of the fouling & will leave exposed a fresh surface of the underlying hard which will be subjected by then to a far reduced level of fouling for the remainder of the season..
I noticed no significant deterioration in performance over the next eight months but, just to be sure, I beached the boat in late September to check the state of the bottom & scrub off. By late August the previous season the bottom had been virtually covered in small barnacles. In complete contrast, this time there were virtually no barnacles, just a small amount of fine weed & slime which were easily removed. Unfortunately I had used the same colour hard antifoul as the Temac so I was unable to determine how much of the Teamac remained.
There was no deterioration in performance during the rest of the season & when the boat was lifted out in mid February there was virtually no fouling worth speaking of. In fairness, it has to be said that other boats were also reporting extremely low levels of fouling which may have been assisted by the unusual long period of excessive cold that we experienced either side of Christmas.
The basic idea of putting a coat of eroding over the hard seems to have worked well from what I can see. This season I have experimented further by applying just one coat of hard and I have used a different colour to the Temac. This should enable me to see just how much of the Teamac gets eroded away by mid season. Obviously if there is little erosion of it then the next thought would be to do away with the undercoat of hard & try two coats of Teamac. I will update this with any further results later in the year.

This next image shows the level of fouling at the end of the 2008/9 season

when I was using expensive International hard antifoul. Note the large number of barnacles as well as the excessive weed growth.



Following image shows far reduced fouling at end of 2009/10 season

using Temac D over a cheap hard antifoul.




Jan 2012 Update:-
This last season I applied a coat of bright green hard antifoul over which I applied a single coat of black Temac D.
For various reasons, I was unable to do a mid season scrub of the side that normally gets far worse fouling (due to the way the boat normally sits on its mooring).
When the boat came out on Jan 14th 2012 I was extremely pleased to see that there was hardly any weed or barnacle fouling on either side and, given that one side had not been touched at all since launch in March 2011, this is quite remarkable compared with previous seasons prior to using this system.
Having used a contrasting colour for the under coat, I was able to see that the one coat of Temac D had not eroded away through to the under coat anywhere.
The following photos were taken in poor light conditions on Jan 14th 2012 and clearly show the excellent results.
In consequence, I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending Temac D for our mud berth conditions.

You do not have permissions to access this page.



You do not have permissions to access this page.



You do not have permissions to access this page.
  • PublicityOfficer
  • PublicityOfficer's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 78
  • Karma: 1
Last Edit: 8 years 8 months ago by PublicityOfficer.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: PublicityOfficer
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds
This website uses cookies to help us give you the best experience when you visit our website.
By continuing to use the website, you consent to the use of our cookies.
Continue